Monday, June 19, 2006

Buckles and bunny hops

Managed to get a pinch flat and buckle the back wheel slightly just hitting a curb at a shallow angle outside the local shop! The front wheel also seems to be buckled. A few months ago I could not see the point of learning something like wheel building and aligning, but now I do, since new wheels are pretty expensive, and they bend fairly easily. Neil managed to buckle his wheel too, and damage some spokes. Repair man said his hubs were damaged from heavy riding. Must get mine checked too. Suddenly have to start studying differences between wheels, rims and hubs. Am I overdoing it on the light XC rims?

Some good news on technique progress: I managed to improve the bunny hops. Instead of just trying to jump higher, I did was everyone recommends, and practiced jumping over things in a farmyeard where we spent the weekend camping. The main thing was to get the correct technique, which I did on a 2 inch log, then found a piece of 2x4 and stood it on end. Soon sailing over it every time, concentrating on a good frong fork compression well before the jump, looking ahead, and pushing the front wheel down as soon as it is over the obstacle. Now to work up to 6"... I still managed to hit the large scab on my leg from last week's practice session - should have been wearing the shin pads I bought from the hockey shop. That came from trying too hard, not just relaxing and letting the feet come up naturally. My shoulder is still sore from bad technique bunny hopping, so I will give it a week's rest.

A couple of links this today:
Shimano parts catalogue
Sheldon Brown's Wheel building page
National Bike week 17-25 June

No comments: