Sunday, September 03, 2006

Week of riding - Sunday rain

Good riding week, experimenting with different training exercises based on the Bragenzer article. Lunchtime ride to Prestonpans (30k), some long tempo intervals round Arthur's seat, and then a sprint session on Arthur's seat with Dermot on Wednesday after reading this. Didn't seem to hard at the time but I could really feel it afterwards. The best was the ride out to the seaside, off road to Joppa, and then on quiet roads. Work at maintain a steady easy heart rate. Now I understand why people train on roadbikes to get the steady hours in. I took the child seat off the cross bar of the city bike and that works pretty well though.
Sunday morning Pentlands ride was the wettest I can remember. Not so muddy, by huge puddles and steady warm front all morning. Nobody else out. Easy ride out though the reservoirs then return via the Redd Road, Black Hill.Couldn't see a thing with wet glasses, so had a harmless fall on taking a wrong line. Maybe the last time until we can ride these until the ground freezes - muddy season starting. Climb up Maiden's Cleugh, followed by Harbour Hill. Met a guy at the col: ' never seen anyone ride up there!'. Had to stop a few times, but rode everything. Cloud at the top. Neil pushed up. A few weeks training needed to crack this one. Neil was getting tired, although I could have done a few more hills, descent to petrol station and home. Soaking wet, covered in mud and starting to get a bit cold by the end. 47k, 3:20hr.
Think I need 5 bikes - Road bike, city bike, hard tail, Full sus and street bike. Chances of getting them, nil! Have to make do with bits and bobs from the Bike coop sale.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

after being 'slated' last week in James' blog - paraphrased as "neil couldn't make it up the hill so had to get off and push while I waited for him at the top" - I just wanted to inform the audience of this blog of a number of issues. James made the hill only after stopping at least "3" times. And, I actually did manage the hill this sunday. I found it so easy that I went back and did it a second time. Neil