Tuesday, September 19, 2006

riding and new wheels

No great adventures. After having all the new drive parts on my bike replaced by the Bike Coop, I set out for a ride last weekend, and realised a spoke on the rear wheel is broken, and the rim warpped. So much for the mechanics in checking it over, or maybe it was just falling apart. Coop cannot fix it for 10 days, so try the Bike Works who can do it straight away. Decide to buy a decent wheel anyway, and use this as a spare. After trying to make head or tail of which rim opts for the Mavic XM 719, but then change my mind to Mavic EX 729 - should be bomb proof and I don't have to pay for braking rims either .- and 200g of weight is not so much of a problem. However after 10 days they still haven't got it in stock. Neil said it took then over 3 weeks to do his wheel.

Anyway, a short sharp ride on Sunday tested out my last 2 weeks of good training: some shorter endurance rides, interval, sprint and tempo training at lunch times with Dermot. A very foggy morning soon cleared to sun up in the Pentlands. We went fast up Puke Hill, down to Glencorse and up Maiden's Cleugh. Neil still had something to prove on Harbour hill and carried on straight up while I was snacking. He very impressively got to the top without stopping, only putting his foot down once. I had to stop half way - but he wasn't looking! Down through the technical sections in Terror woods (White Hill) - chickened the first technical section, but managed the steep steps - wet roots can be a bit scary since they are like ice. Went over the shoulder of White Hill, did some of the steps that I fell off a couple of weeks ago. Final climb up the bottom section of Allermuir hill in order to do the fast run across the field. Home with a few sprints. Easy 2hrs.26k

I still think there is something up with the front forks, they seem to clunk a bit. ...not that I can afford new forks.

No comments: